Sunday, January 15, 2012

JANUARY - 2012

Happy New Year Friends!

I’ve finally acquiesced to the requests of friends and readers and I’m now committed to a monthly newsletter. That said, I’m laughing with you as you note the date of this first edition.

Regardless, I’m looking forward to the new year and what it brings.

In addition to keeping you abreast of what’s going on with me, I plan to share what’s going on in the writing community by offering writing tips and ways of helping you to setup and run your writing business. I’ll also feature authors, their works, events and just fun stuff.

Soooo—what’s going on?

Currently I’m working on edits for my summer release­—Through the Fire, the long awaited sequel to Business Unusual.

Aside from writing I have two projects that are near and dear to my heart. One is The Write Plan. TWP came into existence at the request of authors desiring to learn the business side of the industry. 

My other passion is my one woman presentation of ‘Tell Them’. This visual presents the last day of Carol Denise McNair, the youngest victim in the 1963 Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama. More information on this subject will be featured in the February newsletter.

WRITING TIP
THE FIRST DRAFT - Aspiring writers often believe that they must edit their way to perfection in order to come up with a viable first draft—not so. When the idea pops into your head, just run with it. It doesn’t have to make sense. The goal of the first draft is to get your thoughts down on paper. Once you’ve done this you can go back and work on feasibility. The end result of that will be your first draft. This can be submitted to your critique group who will give insight that will prepare you for the next round of self-editing. 


AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT

One of the things I missed growing up was the availability of books with characters that looked like me. Today our children are blessed to have an abundance of works by imaginative authors writing stories that reflect their heritage. One such author is KELLY STARLING LYONS .

Below Kelly shares her successful journey toward publication.

“Growing up, I rarely saw kids who  looked like me as the main characters  of children’s books. I loved books and treasured every story I read. But after  reading Something Beautiful, I knew I had missed something important—reflections of myself. Right then, I decided to add my voice.
In a way my life path has brought me back to my roots. I’ve returned to that dreamy girl I used to be who warmed her feet at the radiator behind her bedroom door and stepped through the pages of books into other lives. But this time, instead of looking at reflections created by someone else, I’m the one holding up the mirror so that children can see.”

My book, One Million Men and Me (Just Us Books, 2007), illustrated by Peter Ambush, emerged from memories of attending the Million Man March. As I walked through the sea of men and boys, I saw a father holding hands with his little girl. Her eyes sparkled like diamonds. She looked like a princess among kings.

I have two forthcoming picture books with G.P. Putnam’s Sons that explore African-American history and family relationships. Ellen’s Broom, illustrated by Daniel Minter, will debut January 2012. It was inspired by a document I saw while researching family history in Rockingham County, NC and Henry County, VA. Tea Cakes for Tosh, will debut fall 2012. It’s illustrated by E.B. Lewis and inspired by my relationship with  grandma.
To learn more about Kelly and her works, visit her at:
 http://www.kellystarlinglyons.com

THIS MONTH IN BLACK HISTORY

Remembering A Life
By Nordette Adams


I remember him in the misted vision of toddler years
and again in girlhood, the booming voice on TV,
someone grown-ups talked about, eyelids flapped wide.
Elders huddled 'round the screen enraptured,
in fear for him, in awe.
I remember him.
His words swept the land, singing our passion.
Dogs growled in streets. Men in sheets.
Police battering my people. (Water, a weapon.)
Yet my people would rejoice ... And mourn.

but in solitude and hope
with acts of courage and compassion,
with lives of greater scope
carving fresh paths of righteousness?

I remember.



THE READER ELITE


Would you like your book club featured in this newsletter? If so, I invite you to send your information and a group picture to lindabonassignment@yahoo.com using ‘Book Club Submission’ in the subject line.
__________________________________
Things move so swiftly in this industry that a monthly newsletter doesn’t afford the space necessary to share it all. For that reason, I invite you to visit me online at www.lindabeed.com to get more information on what I’m doing and sharing.

If you’ve enjoyed this first offering of the new year, please share it with others. Until next month I encourage you to create or continue to work on THE WRITE PLAN for you.


LINDA!

No comments:

Post a Comment